Ready to work together?
Scroll is a mission-driven company enabling frictionless access to a thriving free press. We’re backed by some of the top VCs and media companies in the world, including the New York Times, News Corp and Axel Springer. If you’re interested in working on something important with great people then read on!
Scroll has offices in NYC and Portland, Oregon and we encourage travel between them both. Sometimes you want to be working at the pace of New York City, and sometimes you want to go hiking in the Pacific Northwest after work. So do we.
Every employee is considered an owner of the company with competitive salary and equity packages. Moreover, we believe that access to healthcare is a fundamental right, but until the government agrees, we pay 90% of health and dental insurance costs for employees and their families.
We’re a startup, with all the speed and excitement that that brings, but we’re a startup where many people have kids, so we try to find a good work-life balance. If you’re happy at home, then you’re going to be happier at work and more productive.
As a consumer product, we're especially dedicated to building a diverse team that reflects the audience we’re trying to serve. Sometimes, humility can prevent great people from applying to great jobs. If you’re not sure about your fit, but one of our open roles sounds like a job you would love to do, please do get in touch.
Senior Counsel, NYC
We are looking for a highly qualified Legal Counsel to oversee all the legal aspects of our business, focused on crafting the partnership agreements at its core. You would be central to the company’s development, negotiating these agreements with media companies, affiliates, and distribution partners as well as guiding Scroll as a company and a service. As a member of an early stage startup, you will help to define the culture and success of the company. If you want your work to have an impact in the service of a good cause, then we want to hear from you.
- Draft and negotiate partnership agreements and other legal documents with the top media companies in the world
- Ensure everyone in the organization has a clear understanding of both our agreements and the external legal landscape that may affect their efforts
- Offer proactive advice on possible legal and operational landmines
- Work with external counsel on key business operations such as fundraising
- Support day-to-day business operations
- Specify internal governance policies
- 5-10 years of experience as a legal counsel
- 3-5 years of experience in digital media, drafting and negotiating content licensing and/or distribution partnerships
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of the economic and copyright landscape of digital media
- Sound judgement and ability to analyse situations and information to make decisions in real time
- Outstanding communication skills (including a love of puns)
- J.D. degree