Scroll Terms of Service
Welcome to Scroll! We provide our members with an experience free of the most frustrating ads across all Scroll partner sites. You can find the latest list of participating sites here.
"Scroll service," "our service" or "the service" means the service provided by Scroll, as well as all software associated with our service.
Acceptance of Terms of Service
- Scroll has entered into separate agreements with its partner sites to provide the services. These Terms of Service do not apply to Scroll’s relationship with its partner sites.
- The Scroll service is provided by Scroll Labs Inc or one of its affiliated companies.
Changes to Terms of Service
By using the Scroll service, you consent to receiving communications from Scroll. These communications may involve sending emails to your email address provided during registration, or posting communications via the Scroll service or in your account settings page, and will include notices about your account (e.g., payment authorizations, change in password or Payment Method, confirmation emails and other transactional information) and are part of your relationship with Scroll. You also consent to receiving certain other communications from us, such as newsletters about Scroll features and content, special offers, promotional announcements and customer surveys via email or other methods. You can control which non-essential communications you choose to receive at https://www.scroll.com/settings under the Privacy settings.
Registration, membership, and cancellation
If you sign-up for a Scroll free trial with your email address, you create an account for the Scroll service. You are entitled to one free trial unless Scroll specifically offers you an additional free trial period. Scroll may choose to require a credit card to begin a free trial. If Scroll determines, in its reasonable judgment, that you are attempting to sign up for multiple free trials, Scroll reserves the right to deny access to the Scroll service.
At the later of the end of your trial and when you submit a valid, acceptable method of payment (“Payment Method”) you will begin your Scroll membership, which will continue month-to-month and automatically renew unless and until you cancel your membership or we terminate it. We will bill the initial monthly membership fee to your Payment Method at the start of your membership. Scroll may from time to time provide an additional free trial period after you submit a Payment Method, in which case Scroll will not begin billing until that free trial period has ended. For each subsequent month, your Payment Method will be billed on the calendar day corresponding to the commencement of your paying membership. For example, if you start your membership on January 15th, your next payment date would be February 15th. Scroll reserves the right to adjust pricing for our service as we may determine in our sole and absolute discretion. Except as otherwise expressly provided for in these Terms of Service, any price changes to your service will take effect following email notice to you.
You may cancel your Scroll membership at any time, and you will continue to have access to the Scroll service through the end of your monthly billing period. We do not provide full or partial refunds if you cancel in the middle of a billing cycle. To cancel, make sure you are logged in to scroll.com, go to your Settings page and follow the instructions for cancellation. If you cancel your membership, you will lose access to the Scroll service at the end of your current monthly billing period.
- You must be 13 years of age to become a member of the Scroll service. Individuals under the age of 18, or applicable age of majority, may utilize the service only with the involvement of a parent or legal guardian, under such person's account and otherwise subject to these Terms of Service.
- We continually update the Scroll service, including the list of participating sites. In addition, we continually test various aspects of our service, including our website, user interfaces, service levels, plans, features, and pricing. We reserve the right to, and by using our service you agree that we may, include you in or exclude you from these tests without notice. We reserve the right in our sole and absolute discretion to make changes from time to time and without notice in how we offer and operate our service.
- You agree to use the Scroll service, including all features and functionalities associated therewith, in accordance with all applicable laws, rules and regulations, or other restrictions on use of the service or content therein.
- Scroll software is developed by, or for, Scroll and is designed to enable the fast, ad-free consumption of content from our participating sites. This software and its performance may vary by device, and functionalities may also differ between devices. By using our service, you agree to look solely to the entity that manufactured and/or sold you the device for any issues related to the device, its own software and its compatibility with the Scroll service. If your Scroll-ready device is sold, lost or stolen, please deactivate the Scroll-ready device. If you fail to log out of your device, subsequent users may access the Scroll service through your account and may be able to access certain of your account information. To logout on a device, follow instructions on the "Your Account" page of our website (https://www.scroll.com/settings).
Passwords and account access
- The member who created the Scroll account and whose Payment Method is charged is referred to here as the Account Owner. The Account Owner has access and control over the Scroll account. The Account Owner's control is exercised through use of the Account Owner's email address, and therefore to maintain exclusive control, the Account Owner should not provide access to the associated email address to third parties.
- In order to provide you with ease of access to your account and to help administer the Scroll service, Scroll implements technology that enables us to recognize you as the Account Owner and provide you with direct access to your account without requiring you to retype any password or other user identification when you revisit the Scroll service, which includes accessing via Scroll ready devices or website.
- You should be mindful of any communication requesting that you submit credit card or other account information. Providing your information in response to these types of communications can result in identity theft. Scroll will not send you an email with any hyperlink to enter your account information. Instead, always access your account information by going directly to the Scroll website and not through a hyperlink in an email or any other electronic communication, even if it looks official. Scroll reserves the right to place any account on hold anytime with or without notification to the member in order to protect itself and its partners from what it believes to be fraudulent activity. Scroll is not obligated to credit or discount a membership for holds placed on the account by either a representative of Scroll or by the automated processes of Scroll.
To the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, you agree to indemnify and hold Scroll harmless from and against all damages, losses, and expenses of any kind (including reasonable attorney fees and costs) arising out of: (1) your breach of this Agreement; (2) any User Content; (3) any activity in which you engage on or through Scroll; and (4) your violation of any law or the rights of a third party.
Disclaimers of warranties and limitations on liability
- THE SCROLL SERVICE AND ALL SOFTWARE ASSOCIATED THEREWITH, OR ANY OTHER FEATURES OR FUNCTIONALITIES ASSOCIATED WITH THE SCROLL SERVICE, ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" WITH ALL FAULTS AND WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. SCROLL DOES NOT GUARANTEE, REPRESENT, OR WARRANT THAT YOUR USE OF THE SCROLL SERVICE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE. SCROLL SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS LIABILITY FOR THE USE OF APPLICATIONS, SCROLL READY DEVICES, AND SCROLL SOFTWARE (INCLUDING THEIR CONTINUING COMPATIBILITY WITH OUR SERVICE).
- TO THE EXTENT PERMISSIBLE UNDER APPLICABLE LAWS, IN NO EVENT SHALL SCROLL, OR ITS SUBSIDIARIES OR ANY OF THEIR SHAREHOLDERS, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES OR LICENSORS BE LIABLE (JOINTLY OR SEVERALLY) TO YOU FOR PERSONAL INJURY OR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER.
- SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF CERTAIN WARRANTIES OR THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR CERTAIN TYPES OF DAMAGES. THEREFORE, SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS IN THIS SECTION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
- NOTHING IN THESE TERMS OF SERVICE SHALL AFFECT ANY NON-WAIVABLE STATUTORY RIGHTS THAT APPLY TO YOU. If any provision or provisions of these Terms of Service shall be held to be invalid, illegal, or unenforceable, the validity, legality and enforceability of the remaining provisions shall remain in full force and effect.
Scroll may assign the Agreements or any part of them, and Scroll may delegate any of its obligations under the Agreements. You may not assign the Agreements or any part of them, nor transfer or sub-license your rights under the Agreements, to any third party.
Gifts and promotions
From time to time, promotional codes may be available, including those provided as part of a third party promotion. Promotional codes may be redeemed as described in the specifics of the promotion. Promotional codes can only be used once, cannot be redeemed for cash, and may be combined with other offers, including a free trial, subject to certain restrictions as determined by Scroll in its sole discretion. If you received a promotional code through an offer by a third party, additional conditions may apply.
The Scroll service is protected by copyright, trade secret or other intellectual property laws and treaties.
Scroll is a registered trademark of Scroll Labs Inc.
Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA)
If any party believes that material available through the services or other materials infringes its copyright or the copyright of any third party, notification should be provided to Scroll’s DMCA agent as follows: Sachin Doshi, Scroll Labs Inc at 195 Plymouth Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201. Email: email@example.com.
Please note that, to be effective, notice of infringement must comply with the DMCA. Notice must include the following:
- A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed;
- Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrights works at a single online site are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works at that site;
- Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information reasonably sufficient to permit us to locate the material;
- Information reasonably sufficient to permit us to contact the complaining party, such as an address, telephone number, and, if available, an email address;
- A statement that you have good faith belief that use of the material in the matter complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
- A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that you are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
Please note that this process only relates to reporting a claim of copyright infringement. Messages related to other matters will not receive a response through this process. Please note that under Section 512(f) of the DMCA, any person who knowingly materially misrepresents that material is infringing may be subject to liability. If you are unsure whether material infringes your copyright, you should contact an attorney prior to sending notice.
You may encounter third-party applications (including, without limitation, websites, widgets, software, or other software utilities) ("Application(s)") that interact with the Scroll service. These Applications may import data related to your Scroll account and activity and otherwise gather data from you. These Applications are provided solely as a convenience to you, and Scroll is not responsible for such Applications.
Use of information submitted
Scroll is free to use any comments, information, ideas, concepts, reviews, or techniques or any other material contained in any communication you may send to us ("Feedback"), including responses to questionnaires or through postings to the Scroll service, including the Scroll website and user interfaces, worldwide and in perpetuity without further compensation, acknowledgement or payment to you for any purpose whatsoever including, but not limited to, developing, manufacturing and marketing products and creating, modifying or improving the Scroll service. In addition, you agree not to enforce any "moral rights" in and to the Feedback, to the extent permitted by applicable law. Should you send any unsolicited materials or ideas, you do so with the understanding that no additional consideration of any sort will be provided to you, and you are waiving any claim against Scroll and its affiliates regarding the use of such materials and ideas, even if material or an idea is used that is substantially similar to the material or idea you sent.
To find more information about our service and its features, or if you need assistance with your account, please visit Scroll Help Center (scroll.com/support). In the event of any conflict between these Terms of Service and information provided by Customer Support or other portions of our website, these Terms of Service will control.
- If you elect to seek arbitration or file a small claim court action, you must first send to Scroll, by certified mail, a written Notice of your claim ("Notice"). The Notice to Scroll must be addressed to: General Counsel, Scroll Labs Inc at 195 Plymouth Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201. If Scroll initiates arbitration, it will send a written Notice to the email address used for your membership account. A Notice, whether sent by you or by Scroll, must (a) describe the nature and basis of the claim or dispute; and (b) set forth the specific relief sought ("Demand"). If Scroll and you do not reach an agreement to resolve the claim within 30 days after the Notice is received, you or Scroll may commence an arbitration proceeding or file a claim in small claims court.
- The arbitration will be governed by the Commercial Arbitration Rules (the "AAA Rules") of the American Arbitration Association ("AAA"), as modified by this Agreement, and will be administered by the AAA. The AAA Rules and Forms are available online at www.adr.org, by calling the AAA at 1-800-778-7879, or by writing to the Notice Address. The arbitrator is bound by the terms of this Agreement. All issues are for the arbitrator to decide, including issues relating to the scope and enforceability of this arbitration agreement. Unless Scroll and you agree otherwise, any arbitration hearings will take place in the county (or parish) of your residence.
- If your claim is for US$10,000 or less, we agree that you may choose whether the arbitration will be conducted solely on the basis of documents submitted to the arbitrator, through a telephonic hearing, or by an in-person hearing as established by the AAA Rules. If your claim exceeds US$10,000, the right to a hearing will be determined by the AAA Rules. Regardless of the manner in which the arbitration is conducted, the arbitrator shall issue a reasoned written decision explaining the essential findings and conclusions on which the award is based. If the arbitrator issues you an award that is greater than the value of Scroll’s last written settlement offer made before an arbitrator was selected (or if Scroll did not make a settlement offer before an arbitrator was selected), then Scroll will pay you the amount of the award or US$5,000, whichever is greater. Except as expressly set forth herein, the payment of all filing, administration and arbitrator fees will be governed by the AAA Rules.
- YOU AND SCROLL AGREE THAT EACH MAY BRING CLAIMS AGAINST THE OTHER ONLY IN YOUR OR ITS INDIVIDUAL CAPACITY, AND NOT AS A PLAINTIFF OR CLASS MEMBER IN ANY PURPORTED CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE PROCEEDING. Further, unless both you and Scroll agree otherwise, the arbitrator may not consolidate more than one person's claims with your claims, and may not otherwise preside over any form of a representative or class proceeding. If this specific provision is found to be unenforceable, then the entirety of this arbitration provision shall be null and void. The arbitrator may award declaratory or injunctive relief only in favor of the individual party seeking relief and only to the extent necessary to provide relief warranted by that party's individual claim.
If any provision or provisions of these Terms of Service shall be held to be invalid, illegal, or unenforceable, the validity, legality and enforceability of the remaining provisions shall remain in full force and effect.